Friday, October 21, 2011

How Star Women Build Portable Skills

This Harvard Business Review article, "How Star Women Build Portable Skills" by Boris Groysberg, may be of interest to our readers. From the overview:

A star performer in one company will shine in another, right? Wrong....Except when the stars are women.


I find most men vs women debates counter-productive and typically patronizing. However, I do believe the typical man is different from the typical women - there are innate differences in behavior. This article explores how those innate differences allow "star" women to succeed from one job to the next.

Also from Harvard, two conferences that look interesting - and really pricey:

The Women's Leadership Forumdesigned for women who hold senior leadership positions in public and private companies and nonprofit organizations around the world. While I cannot afford the price tag ($9,250), nor do I fit the description, I would love to attend. Maybe in 20 years.


The next conference, A New Path, initially seemed more up my alley - until I saw the price tag. It is designed for women who are seeking to return to the workforce, recharge their careers, or take their professional lives in a new direction. At $6,500, it is also out of my price range - but again, sounds really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment